Monday, March 12, 2007

Drawing 101

It was the official first day of classes today, with a solid four hours of drawing. We had to take a black and white photocopy (see below; I'm guessing it was a photo of the Jewish Memorial in Berlin copied multiple times to a somewhat abstract level, though I could be wrong).

And then interpret/translate it into a black and white drawing. Here was one of my results:


It's not bad, but it's certainly not good either. I've never been particularly good at freehand drawing. My drawings always have this elementary quality to them. Hopefully with these classes, I'll improve and graduate to at least secondary school. The idea is to practice "seeing" and then accurately translating that to paper -- considering proportions, capturing light and shadow, depicting forms and relationships, and so forth. Day 2 tomorrow!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool stuff Juls. I like your drawing. It certainly is a whole lot better than I can do!

I think the photo does look like the Jewish Memorial.

How was your first day otherwise?

Whiny Primadonna said...

I think the drawing is much better than what I could do. :) I also think you're doing such an amazing thing...just being there. no worries about the whining from time to time - that is what blogs are for. sounds like you're doing well. miss you around dc! rachel

Anonymous said...

Looking good. M