Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Tanzen, Strand, und Bier

The first of May here in Germany is somewhat comparable to America's Labor Day -- many demonstrate or protest for worker's rights, and offices and shops are closed. Of course, this is also an excuse to stay out late the night before and perfect for "Tanz in den Mai" ("Dance into May"), held on the evening of April 30. I went out with a few acquaintances to a bar in Eppendorf to experience this German phenomena and sure enough, there was lots of dancing (and singing) to German Schlager (pop songs). Oh yeah.

Since today was a day off (and I neither demonstrated or protested, though Kat did), I hopped on my bike and met up with an acquaintance to check out Hamburg's several "beach bars." Situated along/above the Elbe River, these outdoor bars are only set up from April to September and have a full "floor" of sand, palm trees, beach chairs, music, drinks, great views of the harbor, and occasionally even a pool! There are seven of these bars running along the river, with only one having direct access to the Elbe. Here's a link to one place. It's really as though you were on the beach.

I'm getting culturally-acclimated to Germany and testing out beers more frequently and even drinking in the afternoons! :) Now, don't worry, I'm not going alcho on you. Today I had an "Alsterwasser," which is half beer and half mineral water. Yes, I'm still a lightweight.

No comments: