Thursday, May 31, 2007

Latte Machiatto Anyone?

The best latte machiatto I've found in Hamburg is at Das Kleine Cafe, a cute cafe appointed with mismatched bistro tables, mahogany chairs, and local art work, and located about a fifteen-minute walk from home. And the cakes. They are amazing. Pictured below is a small piece of "kalter hund" (literally translated as: cold dog). The recipe is simple -- butter cookies layered with a rich, chocolate butter made with rum and espresso -- and the result is fabulous.

I've been thinking that working at Das Kleine Cafe (translation: the small cafe) could be a fun, part time job that would allow me to interact with the locals, earn some pocket money, and sample the delicious treats.

So I got a job there. The deal was just sealed this morning and I'm really excited. The pay is shit, but I'll learn how to bake all the fabulous desserts and make a mean machiatto. I'll be working one or two weekend days a month, so not too often, and the cafe opens at the reasonable hour of 10 am. It seems to be a perfect set up (don't need to get up too early, close to home, only a few times per month, a little extra cash, a little bit of cake). I start next Thursday and will let you know how it goes. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOH, Congrats Juls!

That place looks like my dream come true, a little piece of heaven on earth....I could go on!
I am excited that you will be working there!
Does that mena I get a free Latte when I come?!

Love you!
-Nins

Anonymous said...

You are going to be the cutest barrista!

Jenny