Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Welcome to Europe and Willkommen in Hamburg!

It’s 5:15 am and I’m experiencing jet lag on Wednesday morning the 7th of February. Which means, I made it! I’m here in Hamburg, Germany.

My last day in DC was filled with a few hours of work (since my last post, I’m officially employed again), last minute coffee with JD, a lunch time visit (and Dunkin’ Donuts trip -- yum) with MS, a smooth ride to Dulles with Nins, a couple of stolen credit cards, and encouraging phone calls and text messages that I so appreciate. Never without family, good friends, and a little drama (I cancelled my cards at the airport after about $800 worth of damage…not sure how exactly they got stolen between 11 am and 4 pm), I stepped on my half-empty United flight and set off with a beautiful sunset as my backdrop.

Many of you know I’m not a good or happy flyer (this puts it mildly) (B, don’t tell my secrets!) and I am thankful for everyone’s thoughts, well wishes, and prayers as I jumped this last hurdle to make it here to Germany. My flight companions and I had at least two or three seats to ourselves and I was able to spread out in Economy Plus (which I must say was noticeably more comfortable) between seats 22A and B. My flight attendant was genuinely upbeat and relaxed, which helped put me at ease, as well. The seat screens showed our route – a direct shot east from DC to Brussels, around the almost-fattest part of the Earth.


I slept most of the way, but I did wake up for food. About a year ago I once ordered the vegetarian meal on a United flight; ever since I’ve been served the special meal on this airline without requesting it. I ate the vegetable concoction and vegan chocolate chip cookie before dozing off again. Before I knew it, we were flying over Paris. When we landed in Brussels, the captain announced “Welcome to Europe” and I experienced a sense of ease, accomplishment, excitement, possibility, and comfort. I was in Europe. I was going to live here, something I’ve been wanting to do for years.

There’s so much more I want to write about being here, leaving there, how thankful I am for my friends and the support of my family, and more, but this post is getting a bit long and my battery is running low (and I have yet to find the adapter I packed). So I will end with a big thank you and my appreciation to you all. I hope you are reading to receive it!

No comments: