Thursday, September 27, 2007

Strange Phenomenon

Yesterday during class we practiced elevator pitches, an exercise in persuasion in which we had to sell our creative idea to a fictitious CEO of an advertising agency.

In several instances, I played the CEO. Interestingly, the first time I did, I pictured myself as a man. In my head I was playing a male CEO. It was so strange. I didn't notice it until I sat down and thought, wait, why was I imagining myself as a man? The funny thing is that Jessie, who was pitching her idea to me, imagined me as a man, as well. In her mind, she was selling her idea to a guy.

It certainly surprised me that my mind worked in this way, as I of course think women are fully capable of holding top positions. I guess it shows how much society shapes my thinking. I poked around a bit and found that in 2006 there were only 13 women CEOs among Fortune 500 companies; 20 in the top 1000. If I am not seeing or hearing about women in executive positions (and movies and tv series certainly underscore this reality), maybe it's no wonder that I'm less inclined to picture a woman in the top, managing role. And, in this case, less likely to even play one myself.

1 comment:

Donald Wienand said...

Hi Julia,
komm ab und zu mal vorbei, weil ich gerne in english lese(mag das so germe:) musste aber wieder mal ein paar Wörter nachschauen "to incline" kannte ich nicht.
Aber du hast schon recht, Führungspositionen sind nachwievor hart umkämpft doch es gibt zB auch viele Talkshows, wo Frauen moderieren, und grad beim Fernsehn (auch wenn es nicht die Majorität ist), sind doch auch viele Frauen in hohen Positionen (Nachrichten ,Talkshows ect..)

..Your quite right because Supreme Status(or leadership-position) is still a battle ground for women.
But not so if one looks at TV shows or moderation and all about TV in especialy (even so its not the majority of woman's work- degree?).
A lot of women working as talkmasters, news speaker ect..
I alway think, that doesnt realy depend on things like that so much its rather that everyone living today can get wherever he/she wants. And I personaly thing (and mybe this referes back to me) that those how are in high positions do have a kind of cleverness,smartness whatsoever which brought them to that degree or leadership-role ??