Monday, September 24, 2007

Call me Slacker

So I haven't written in a while...but not because I'm slacking....but because I have a busy schedule this semester. In an effort to save some time and money (because, let's face it, I'm not a young sprout any longer and my money tree is growing at a slower rate than usual), I am trying to complete the second and third semester curricula simultaneously. I hope I can hammer it out. It's only until February, so that light at the end of the tunnel should keep me going.

So, otherwise....I wanted to follow up on the Documenta. I intentionally posted the pictures without any explanation (I told you I'm not slacking!), as it mirrored our experience of the gigantic, five-building exhibition. All of the objects were shown without labels and it wasn't until we bought the catalogue -- basically the label text -- for 35 euros that we got a better understanding of the work's and the artist's intentions/meanings. In the late afternoon we participated in an exhibition tour of one space, which greatly increased the value of the experience. Because, seriously, without commentary it was extremely difficult to fully appreciate the works outside of their aesthetic appeal or form...even for someone with a minor in art history who has worked in the museum field and regularly visits museums. And, yes, that would be me.

I will write more about each individual photo later (with the excpetion of photo one which is obviously just me standing in front of a documenta sign...though the signs would be worth commenting on...they were easily transportable (light) and really cheaply made. The fact that they weren't afraid to show their cheapness contributed to their success, in my opinion.) -- because now I really am slacking.

Peace out.

No comments: