Monday, October 15, 2007

Odds & Ends

This is my 101th post. The fall season is in fall swing, the leaves are changing, the air is crisp, and my winter coat is back from the dry cleaner and being put to good use. It's freakin' cold here. And because Germans are thrifty, the heat is hardly turned on anywhere. I sleep with three clothing layers, two comforters, and a blanket. I hear in DC it's still in the 80s. Considering I only wore shorts three times this year (one time being in February in Tenerife, which doesn't count), DC sounds like paradise to me right now. A week ago I was talking to Nina and she turned her air conditioning down during our conversation. I was sitting there wrapped in a wool blanket. A few days ago my mom asked me if I was cold because my lips were blue. Yes, mom, I am cold.

Today I went to the gym after a multiple week hiatus and I was warm for about a nanosecond afterwards. I even cracked open the window a bit as I made my way home. The gym is the only place it will ever be hot indoors here in Germany. Apparently they are too thrifty to turn on air conditioning or fans, so there are tons of people working out, with no air circulation. I sweat a lot, so it makes me think I am doing a really strenuous workout. But if I'm honest it's only because the place is 90 degrees. They are also too thrifty to turn on the lights. They've got a late night lounge atmosphere going on, the lights are so dim. They say they are being environmentally conscious and don't want to waste energy, but they are probably skimping on electricity so they can use our 70-100 euros monthly dues for some really good staff parties. Who knows.

On other news, the movie Helvetica was really interesting. But I don't think you guys are really into fonts, so I won't bore you with more details. Oh, but I will say that one of my favorite quotes of the evening was from the guy who lectured beforehand about his 138,000+ font collection -- he said men with hobbies are harmless. I thought about it and I agree.

For some reason, an unusual amount of people are arriving at my blog from searching "i miss you like the deserts miss the rain." Who knew that phrase/song was so intriguing to people.

Anyway, I hope you guys are enjoying the fall season -- autumn scents, pumpkins, hiking, oranges/reds/yellows, football, and everything else associated with this time of year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are funny!
-N

Whiny Primadonna said...

if only it would start to feel like fall in dc.... glad things are good with you jules - dc misses you (maybe that is why it is so darn hot!). -- Rachel