Thursday, June 7, 2007

Shake and Bake

Today was my first morning working at Das Kleine Cafe (see prior entry) and my first cake did not result in disaster (which for me, means it was a success :)). I made a Russian Zupfkuchen. After forming the crust from the chocolate dough, the remaining dough is zupfed (zupfen = to pluck) into small pieces and placed on top of the quark-based filling. Quark is a milk-based product not usually found in America. I would describe it as a mixture between yogurt, cream cheese, and ricotta cheese -- it tastes more like plain yogurt, but has the thicker consistency of cream cheese/ricotta.

Some pictures of a Zupfkuchen I found online:

Mmmmmm. :) Saturday I go back for more cake baking and coffee making.

2 comments:

Ajay said...

Those Zupfkuchens look yummy! Hmm... what can I bribe Nins with to bring one back for me?

julia said...

Ha. I don't think the cake would survive the trip!I promise to make you one when you visit -- how about that? :)